Proposal for Extensible Primitives (was: FFI)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 17 04:14:45 UTC 2006

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> Andreas just says that lukas is an idiot. This is more direct.

No, I said that the value of that change doesn't outweigh the value of
the existing investments. And, I am now saying that I would appreciate
it a *lot* if you weren't constantly putting words into my mouth. I'm
quite capable of saying what I mean, thanks.

But to come back to the topic, if this were day 1 of the FFI I'd
probably even go for the change in syntax. But as it stands I have to
consider the investments of the people who are using the FFI. This is
why I am the maintainer.

And as an advocate of my users I will tell you: Unless you provide some
real tangible benefit for the users of the FFI, that change is not going
to happen.

> Do not tell me that having a migration period would not work.

I said something entirely different, namely that a migration only makes
sense if a change were either desirable or necessary. The change that
has been proposed is neither desirable (since its adds no value for the
FFI users) nor necessary. Therefore no migration period is necessary
since there is no good reason for a change to begin with.

> And do not tell us that the hacks introduced in the compiler are nice.

I haven't said that anywhere. However, regardless of their nicety, hacks
are often useful if you deal with the reality outside of your personal
view of what the world should be like. And in this case I wouldn't even
consider it a hack - why do you call it that? The FFI has been present
in the parser *far* longer than the pragma implementation. Given that
this is the case you can hardly call it a "hack" - it is simply an
extension to the parser added at (what at that time seemed to be) the
right place.

I will admit that some of the code (in particular what Marcus' stumbled
across) is a little questionable since it tries to avoid dealing with
the dependency issues. And I have by now *twice* offered to discuss ways
to deal with the problem, both times ignored.

It is certainly striking how you keep coming back to a no-value
proposition and entirely avoid discussing what is an actual issue that
should be addressed. That's what I mean by "ivory tower" behavior.

> What lukas was
> proposing was a really nice way to integrate FFI with pragmas without
> having these compiler hacks.

Sure. And it was a proposal that completely ignored any realities of the
FFI. The FFI is there, it is used and people have invested in it. If you
want to break all code anyone has ever written using the FFI I, both
personally as well as a maintainer watching out for the interests of my
users, want a reason for it. A Real Good Reason.

Cheers,
   - Andreas