Distributed Objects?

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Sat Aug 19 03:04:19 UTC 2006

Rich Warren wrote:
> Is there any support for distributed objects or sending remote  messages
> in Squeak? I found the socket support, but I'm looking for a
> more-transparent solution.

Yes, but the quality of projects vary. I don't think there's anything
out there yet which is production quality yet, but I could be wrong.

See:

- Croquet is probably the best example; you get fancy 3-D stuff for
free. http://www.opencroquet.org.

- Craig Latta's project, Spoon, does (as far as I know) remote object
invocation. http://www.netjam.org/spoon. You get a tiny image for free.

- Search this list for the word "remote":
http://map.squeak.org/packagesbyname. rST is interesting.

- I'm not entirely sure, but I think Magma (the OO database) does a bit
of remote stuff too. This is stable enough for production use (although
I haven't tried it myself). http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2665

- My own project does transparently distributed,replicated objects, but
it doesn't work yet and I can't release the latest code because of my
current employment contract. http://squeaksource.com/DPON.html.

Michael.