Stef's departure from the SqueakFoundation board

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 19 15:10:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 04:27:16PM +0200, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Craig Latta a ?crit :
>
> >      Of course, our situation as a community is inherently and
> > unavoidably political, the scarce resource being the time that people
> > can spend on Squeak development. I have participated in this community
> > for its entire existence. I have seen heated exchanges over whose work
> > should be "accepted", without money at stake. I think the situation is
> > very likely to be worse if money is involved. It is unclear to everyone
> > (including Stef, as far as I can tell) which projects are worthy of
> > bounties, how large each bounty should be, and how preferred submissions
> > should be chosen. Any one of these ambiguities invites disaster.
>
> I don't understand this concern about money. After all money is just the
>  exchange unit used in our world to get work done.
> The free software communities has been using it at a lot, probably I
> should even wrote the free software communities is  using it as much as
> it can. The FSF is using it to support and develop its software, Linux
> is largely supported that way, and Squeak has been largely developed
> with money.
>
> So really I don't see the concern about money injected by SqF to support
> Squeak improvement. This is really what is needed.
> Looks like odd concerns.

It certainly would be nice to see people receive some financial
recognition, but I really don't know how the board would be able
to accomplish this without pissing somebody off.  A strong benevolent
dictator would be required, and we do not have that.  The board was
wise to steer clear of the issue.

Dave