Stef's departure from the SqueakFoundation board

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 19 22:58:33 UTC 2006

Ralph Johnson wrote:
> On 8/19/06, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>> Split and Conquer is good ?
>
> It is necessary.  It will happen as a community grows larger.
> Eventually it will split into subcommunities, and the question is how
> to manage it, not whether it will happen.

Agreed. But the main risk for an experiment like the beginner's list is
that it doesn't get enough uptake. Notice that this list (contrary to
other communities) wasn't formed by the people affected, but was rather
sort of an administrative act. Personally, I was really surprised to
find that there is enough of an effectively silent "beginners community"
to give that list enough traction. But it's great to see it when it works.

OTOH, just consider what would've happened if the list didn't get the
required uptake - the whole idea would have been discredited for years
to come. This is why I prefer it if these things form naturally
bottom-up and not by top-down decisions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas