Syntactical extensions vs. pragmas everywhere

Damien Pollet damien.pollet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 09:36:13 UTC 2006

(this is probably redundant with what was already said, I'm just
reformulating my way)

On 8/19/06, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> 1. Primitives and FFI specs aren't pragmas

What about putting it the other way around: pragmas are syntactic
extensions (just like primitives and FFI). That would make pragmas a
particular kind of extension that the compiler (1) knows by default
and (2) treats in a relaxed way, since pragmas are more like comments
or optional metadata than instructions with an alien syntax.

I guess this is Andrew's <pragma: ... > proposition

BTW, what about
<Primitive at: 42>
<FFI call: ... module: ...>
<Pragma addMeToMenu: #thatOne withTitle: 'blah'>

each of these would tell the compiler to look for a plugin and send it a message
--
 Damien Pollet
 type less, do more