Proposal: 3.10 RFRG

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sun Aug 20 13:00:24 UTC 2006

Am 20.08.2006 um 13:16 schrieb Cees De Groot:

> (Request For Release Guru, that is ;-)).
>
> I've been thinking. After some alkaselzer got rid of the headache this
> to me unusual act caused, shouldn't we have some sort of simple round
> of ideas where people can propose "I'll pull 3.10 and do it in such
> and such a way". Or 4.0, or whatever.
>
> For example, I would say: [...]
> A couple of these proposals could float around, the community could
> debate them and when one of the proposals has the least offending
> terms ;-), the community could accept them and name a release guru.
>
> Advantages:
> - It is reasonably clear to the community what they'll get;
> - The release guru wannabe's can name their own terms, so they will do
> just the amount of work they are prepared to do and nothing more. In
> the example above, I would not do a lot of work :-)

Sounds good.

However, can we really expect to find several proposers that we trust
to pull it off? In the past we were lucky to even find one (3.7 -
Doug, 3.8 - Michael, 3.9 - Stef+Marcus). And it always was more work
and took longer than anticipated.

Anyway, I don't want to sound to pessimistic - so keep the proposals
coming ;-)

Should there be a separate vote in the community, or should the Board
appoint an RG after hearing the discussion?

- Bert -