FFIPragma experiment

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 20 19:51:39 UTC 2006

Lukas Renggli wrote:
> Indeed, I prefer to implement and/or change something instead of
> talking endlessly.

That's of course up to you. I on the other hand, have to do these
discussions (and trust me, there are other things that I'd prefer to do)
simply because I'm the FFI maintainer.

>> Unfortunately, it does appear as if your only goal is indeed to change
>> the FFI syntax, but like I said this isn't going to happen without a
>> real benefit for the FFI users. Get used to it.
>
> If you write "it ain't going to change" and "this isn't going to
> happen" there is no point in discussing with you. Sentences like these
> are quite personal as well. At least it reads personal to me.

I apologize for that. I'm trying to make clear that my position hasn't
changed on these issues and that you would have a much, much easier time
to discuss these issues if, at least for the time being, you'd
acknowledge that there are reasons for preserving the existing syntax.

I'm really not sure what your goal is in this discussion but I've said
many times that I'm willing to discuss anything - except from a change
in the FFI syntax with no user benefit. If you can accept the latter for
the time being I think you'll find me much more agreeable.

> Yes in my imagination, it could be done "clean and extensible". It is
> not done like that right now. That's why I proposed a change.

Right. And I disagreed with the proposal and proposed an alternative
that would respect the FFI. To which I've only gotten some criticism but
no feasible alternative in return.

> Yes, could be done without affecting the current compiler behavior. It
> would be a refactoring and it wouldn't change the way FFI is hacked
> into the compiler. In the sense that everybody is doing his own dull
> thing, change his own small world ...

Like you proposed to me, you're completely free to fork. If you want to
change things mainstream you'll either have to learn to spend time
talking to convince other people or you'll have to learn how to get to
your goals in small steps. I don't see much of an alternative.

Cheers,
   - Andreas