An alternative FFI/Parser proposal

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 20 21:59:57 UTC 2006

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> It seems to me (I may be wrong) that in Tweak event clause are syntactic
> sugar for more verbose forms as andreas showed in a previous email.
> This means that they can then contains instance variable and in such
> as case this is not anymore literal only.

No. They they contain *names* of variables, not variables themselves.

> This is even a point to fix before we could adopt sophie (modulo that
> what I said is correct).

Why and what would need fixing?

> this is somehow related to that issue I do not like in Tweak the fact
> that instance variable are defined using color

That is incorrect. Variables are not defined using color, they are
displayed using color - not unlike any other syntax highlighting scheme.
In fact, you can change the color if you like (right click to get the
context menu and choose your color from the color submenu).

> and I hate that the underlying representation of instance variable
> contain XML while this is totally unnecessary as I mentioned loooonnng
> time ago on the tweak mailing-list --- the smalltalk syntax is enough to
> declare property we do not need XML for that).

The underlying representing does not contain XML. The underlying
representation is a CFieldDefinition which can -among other formats- be
printed in XML.

Cheers,
   - Andreas