An alternative FFI/Parser proposal

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Aug 20 22:15:29 UTC 2006

>> It seems to me (I may be wrong) that in Tweak event clause are
>> syntactic sugar for more verbose forms as andreas showed in a
>> previous email.
>> This means that they can then contains instance variable and in
>> such as case this is not anymore literal only.
>
> No. They they contain *names* of variables, not variables themselves.

So this means that during the compilation of the method you map the
name to iv?

>> This is even a point to fix before we could adopt sophie (modulo
>> that what I said is correct).
>
> Why and what would need fixing?

Ok I was wrong even better. :)

>> this is somehow related to that issue I do not like in Tweak the
>> fact that instance variable are defined using color
>
> That is incorrect. Variables are not defined using color, they are
> displayed using color - not unlike any other syntax highlighting
> scheme. In fact, you can change the color if you like (right click
> to get the context menu and choose your color from the color submenu).

I was thinking about what could be a textual representation and a way
to integrate in the class creation interface (basically an entry
point in the underlying mop that would support a better way to
support textual representation of first class field as in CLOS).

May be

Object subclass: Personn
	iv: 'name <CField...> firstname <k;lk;l>

or

Object subclass: Personn
	iv: 'name <CField...>' ;
         iv:  firstname <k;lk;l>

Because I think that syntax is still what we type in an old-fashion
editor.
But this is another topic.

>> and I hate that the underlying representation of instance variable
>> contain XML while this is totally unnecessary as I mentioned
>> loooonnng time ago on the tweak mailing-list --- the smalltalk
>> syntax is enough to declare property we do not need XML for that).
>
> The underlying representing does not contain XML.

Ok you change that then, or did not tell me the right answer to my
original email long time ago