A nice pattern

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Mon Aug 21 08:00:08 UTC 2006

Hi Stef,

this pattern is bread and butter in practice, what is it that you find so
important about it (perhaps besides that is gets a new name every now and
then ;-)

You work in a Department which has a Location in a Building. All these
departments belong to the same University which has Location
(superlocation of the departments' location) and Web site (superpage of
the departments' Web pages). Et cetera. Of course the Movie / VideoTape
example is nicer, even kids would understand it when "tape" would be
replaced by "game" 8-)

Students of database normalization even (hopefully :) know the value i of
the pattern's corresponding i-th normal form. In its most general form,
the pattern is B.O.M. (a pre-computer age name for it), see 4th entry on

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOM

and it is indispensable in the construction business (yeah, also in the
software construction business :)

But it also has drawbacks: say you have a B.O.M. for the A380 monster and
you ask, how many of the constituent parts do we have to purchase for
assembling one instance of that beast. Then you will see, that "S" in SQL
stands for "simple", because SQL alone cannot explode a B.O.M. (regardless
of how you design the corresponding database): the system (a data
language) MUST be extended (i.e. by a computer language) for to obtain
that solution (OT: has some form of G"odel's incompleteness).

And large B.O.M's are typically maintained by many people (in a
collaborative fashion, like Squeak source code) and time dictates that
they are often inconsistent. IMHO they are the "mother" of inconsistent
designs (sw, hw, etc) in the construction business.

/Klaus