[Patch] Both source files now with 512MB capacity Klaus D. Witzel

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 04:02:25 UTC 2006

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for removing a limitation from squeak.

I haven't had time to try your patches yet or even
look at them.

What I wanted to ask was would it be possible to
extend the number of Source files the system could
handle.

Two is a stupid limitation.

The story I want is as follows

for each branch of versioning we would have another
level of source/changes

in other words source for 3.0
changes for 3.n
newchanges for 3.n.m
etc down to several levels.

That would be a big win.
The only file you would have to ship would be the
change file that matched the current level of image.
The high level changes would act as source.

We get recursive fractal behaviour and an easy way of
developing source and distributing changes. Much more
organic that the current way.

---

So questions.

Is it possible?

How many bits do we need to trade off from the other
address space?

How much work might it be to do?

Are there resources to do it?

-----