Scripting syntax: all expressions or declarations?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Aug 23 18:25:36 UTC 2006

On 23-Aug-06, at 8:57 AM, Damien Pollet wrote:

> On 8/23/06, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>> Why on earth does it need to be human readable?
>
> Hmm, because we're humans?

Well, we can cure you with time and patience.

>> We can read it into a 'script runner' image.
>
> How do you run a particular script from command line or another script
> in bash/ruby/perl ?

Exactly the same as any other system. The script would executable,
would invoke the appropriate interpreter (just like perl) which would
start up, load the appropriate image and then the script. We can do
that already - since about 97 or so?

>>   when examined in a text editor? Text editors are *so* last century.
>
> Isn't Smalltalk older than emacs?
Probably, but I wouldn't hold emacs up as a good example of anything.
And it certainly wasn't the first text editor, obviously.

> And text editors are still the main tool among non-smalltalkers.
> Smalltalk scripting is about hiding the image aspect of Smalltalk: one
> weird thing less to get used to in the short term should ease the
> transition from traditional languages.
I'm not sure I *want* to 'ease the transition from traditional
languages'. There is a major semantic jump from boring old procedural
stuff to real objects and dumb tricks like trying to make an OOP with
C syntax is just foolish. It obfuscates the important changes you
need to make in your mind. Even plain old '3+4' is just not the same.

I suggest a more applescript/automator approach where possible.
Decent tool to create the scripts, decent tool to try and debug, etc
etc.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PDH: Page to Disk for the Hell of it