FW: Image Unique Identifier

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 24 15:18:20 UTC 2006

"Ron Teitelbaum" <Ron at USMedRec.com> writes:
> Thank you for your response.  I had considered IP Address, computer name,
> NIC address and PID.  But when I thought more about it I thought they were
> too public.

Maybe you should divide the problem into two halves?  First solve the
ID problem, then solve the cryptographic-key(s) problem.  I have been
talking about the ID part, for which the above seem to be just fine.
It seems like an inescapable core of a remote object reference is
going to include this kind of public material, just so that you can
actually send your network packets to the right place.

You can then add a secret part.  For that, I do not have a firm
suggestion, but you will certainly need to look into cryptography and
into random number generators.  I would be sure to check out what E
does for sturdy references:

  http://www.erights.org/elang/concurrency/introducer.html

By the way, if you are interested in Internet security in general, you
should check out the "Y property" stuff.  Start from
http://www.yurl.net and follow the links.

-Lex