Scripting languages and IDEs

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 25 13:02:28 UTC 2006

Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> writes:
> Reading this I'm not sure everybody is aware of how the chunk format
> works, because it actually is not declarative.

It's a philosophical question, actually.  It is declarative if you
want it to be.  FilePackage, for example, reads chunk format without
executing it.  It can do this because the actual uses of chunk format
are far less general than the general format Bert describes.  (Which,
by the way, is great to have written down, thanks!)

To put it another way, chunk format is executable, but that does not
mean you have to execute it.

This may seem like a nitpick, but I am jumping in because I keep
hearing people say that this or that is hard when using chunk format
because the files are not declarative.  They are declarative if you
want them to be, and there is a declarative-style reader already
implemented.

-Lex