Some camparisons between squeak versions.

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 04:53:23 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I've started to get curious about how squeak is
changing as it's growing.

So I genned up some things to look at and then ran
them
In three different "releases" of squeak.

I am poking around to increase my understanding so if
you know of better things to look at please chime in.

The big one is compiled method. My current
interpretation of that is that it tells me how many
total class>>methods there are in squeak.

I thought that method dictionary would be one per
class
but there seem to be more than two for each class. So
I've reguessed that each class has two method
dictionaries. I am just puzzled by the extra.

Method context grew the most between 3.8 . Now I
wonder what accounts for that?

The gatherer:

{CompiledMethod . MethodDictionary . MethodContext .
Class  }
collect:
[ :class |
 class printString
, ' '
, class allSubInstances size printString
, String cr ]

And the results:

Sq7054
 #('CompiledMethod 44834