stsh (was: Scripting languages and IDEs)

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Sat Aug 26 19:40:16 UTC 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 13:14 , Damien Pollet wrote:

>> Flames, comments, suggestions welcome.
>
> It has your homedir hardcoded somewhere (I first tried to run it from
> the archive folder).

The install directory doesn't really matter in this case, but I will
fix it to be relative...though it is very unlikely you will ever be
able to run it without installing the frameworks in one of the fixed
frameworks directories.

> Then after putting the frameworks under ~/Library
> it made a bus error (on an intel mac).

Odd.  I've tested it on both Intel and PPC Macs with various OSes.,
but maybe there was something wrong with my tests.  Can you give me a
few more details on the crash?

I've also just uploaded a new version of the package to the same
location, but now with a 'version number' (0.1), a minute README and a
couple more samples scripts.

> Are you planning to release the sources ?

Yes, at some point.  The MPWTalk framework is currently slighly less
than 3KLOC.

> PS. not really related... what's the status of your Squeak /
> Objective-C bridge ? there are a couple cocoa bridges out there, I'm
> not sure which is the most advanced/maintained.

I think the one that Todd Blanchard worked on is the most recent and
most comprehensive.  I certainly haven't worked on mine for ages and
don't really plan on doing so.  While these sorts of bridges are sort
of cool, I don't think they will ever give me the level of integration
and "nativeness" that I would like to see.

Marcel