SocketStream bites again, warning to 3.8 (or earlier) users still using it

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Aug 28 08:42:56 UTC 2006

Hi!

Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:
> goran at krampe.se wrote:
>
> > Anyway, the summary: Use FastSocketStream  :)
>
> The 3.8.1 updates replace SocketStream with your new version :-)
>
> OK, time to release 3.8.1, fixes for SM or similar have to go in later ;-)
>
> Michael

Ah, right... hmmmm. The idea was to try to produce a cs that does the
same thing as the upgrade SM mechanism does. But do we really have to
bother? I mean, the update stream is on squeak.org - right? And the
upgrade of SM uses squeak.org too. So if one is down, the other is too.

Mmmm. So if we skip the idea of turning this into a cs - then I think it
is as simple as a cs with a preamble (or postscript) that does:

	SMSqueakMap bootStrap

...that would upgrade it to the *current* SM - whatever that is at the
time of applying the update. But frankly, as SM works today there is no
other version you can use in order to communicate with the server.

regards, Göran