The success of Grants

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Tue Aug 29 15:37:52 UTC 2006

Sorry for the last email.

Ron, that was very interesting.  Thanks for asking the question.
Too bad Martine's full paper isn't available in English.

I wonder how the "crowding out" effect differs between working
on one's pet project, and doing something that is not really fun,
but is necessary.  For example, I'm not intrinsically motivated to
write tools to support harvesting, so there would probably be
no negative effect from receiving an extrinsic reward.

I think the idea of funding a production using Blender is a great
idea.  I'm not sure what the analogue is for Squeak, though.  I
can think of some things (eg: building tools for collaborative
development in Croquet), but everyone will have their own
idea, and there seems nothing so clear-cut as using Blender to
make a movie.

Josh