Thoughts from an outsider

Cédrick Béler cbeler at enit.fr
Wed Aug 30 10:08:07 UTC 2006

When I first saw squeak 2 years ago, I just gave up immediatly and
started with vw... Then I decided to use seaside and the vw port was
just starting so I choose to use squeak and I don't regret it now that
I'm used to it...  and for me 3.9 is more appealing than the previous
version which is cool (Thanks all)!

I don't think mainstream anymore  ;)

>> What smalltalk also needs is a killer app.  Maybe seaside will be
>> that killer app if the inferier language crowd doesn't steal it first.
>
> Seaside is certainly the killer app in the website application area
> demonstrating a viable alternative to scripting.
Actually, I find it's even a bit more (than just web site application),
a kind of showcase of the power of the whole stuff :)
... it's an entry points to squeak and also a real alternative GUI
(multiplatform etc...).

Indeed, I think it would be really cool to have a web2.0 IDE (just for
outsider to start to familiarize)... a bit like here:
http://mmm.seasidehosting.st/seaside/liveWeb  (not working now...)  with
a cool live browser (like the class browser of scriptaculous). I'm sure
such an app would call people's attention to squeak ! And once you're
in, you're addicted :)

Cédrick