Thoughts from an outsider

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Thu Aug 31 15:44:06 UTC 2006

> I agree that Smalltalk has excellent tools for sifting
> through the source code. However, this can be a barrier to
> entry for newcomers.
> We need a constant supply of new blood, otherwise Smalltalk
> will wither and die.

Idea's don't die, Smalltalk's been around 30+ years, it's not going
anywhere.

> In general I'm ok just browsing the source code, but I do get
> upset when someone doesn't even bother to add a class
> comment. I mean, really. How long does it take to add two or
> three sentences? A few sentences, that's all I'm asking. A
> handful of words can save me so much time.

Ditto!

> Sometimes, when I'm working with a new framework, it can be
> hard to find the door in. Once I find the door, I'm golden.

Ditto!

> I think there are a couple of other barriers to Squeak in
> particular.
> I think the user interface is a huge one. Let's just say, the UI for
> 3.8 seems a bit...how should I say it...aesthetically
> challenged. 3.9 looks like it will be a big step forward, but
> it's still not great.

Easily fixed...

  * load LookEnhancements
  * change SystemWindow borderWidth to 2
  * On windows platforms load WindowsNativeFonts
  * Preferences windows roundedWindowCorners to false
  * Preferences menus roundedMenuCorners to false
  * load eCompletion
  * load Shout4
  * hide unused flaps, delete annoying mouse and goofy trashcan
  * set a nice background graphic (I use mac blue panther graphic)

You're left with a nice professional looking environment with no trace of
Squeaks default silliness, windows that look and act decent, including
minimizing and maximizing when you double click the title bar, nice
intellisense, auto completion and code coloring.

> Also, I  hate being isolated from the rest of my desktop. I'm
> a mac user. I like my mac. I like my mac apps. I wish
> Smalltalk could be part of that environment. Visual Works

I sympathize here, I both love and hate that squeak's its own little world.
I've adjusted by dedicating one monitor to squeak, and one to windows, but I
do wish someone would solve this problem.  I don't mind squeak having it's
own windowing system, it's nice to be able to work on a Mac, a pc, and a
Linux box all in the same environment, but it'd be nicer if a morph floated
over the native desktop.