Squeak and Namespaces

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 2 20:12:16 UTC 2006

>From: goran at krampe.se
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Squeak and Namespaces
>Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:43:18 +0200
>
>Ehm, everywhere? I am not sure you have understood this proposal - the
>likely effect is that you will almost NEVER see any of those :: in
>actual code. You will see them in class definitions though.
>
>Recall that they are only showed when there is a *conflict*.

My point was was that after a few years of use conflicts will be everywhere.
  But I suppose the tools can be set up to, for example, not show the ::
ever but do it on mouse-over or something.  I guess I could live with that.

>As Avi posted - are you basing this on experience? Because most
>experienced Smalltalkers have almost never felt any pressing need for
>them. Sure, they are nifty - and they can improve on design - but a
>"huge pain"? Nah.

Ok, they don't solve a huge pain as in something that bites us every day.
But more of a huge pain as in a fundamental problem with OO systems when
they get larger.  And since one of the main points of OO development was to
be able to develop very large systems, I count that as a huge pain.