2006-12-06 SqF board notes

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Dec 7 08:13:02 UTC 2006

Hi all!

Andreas wrote:
> Craig Latta wrote:
>> 3.   How shall we make future contributors aware their submissions must
>>      be made available under the terms of the MIT license?
>>
>>      We decided that the contribution mechanism shall present the
>> contributor with a notice that contributions must be made available
>> under the terms of the MIT license, and that the contributor must
>> acknowledge the notice. For example, SqueakMap could present a dialog
>> box with this information that the contributor may either accept or
>> cancel.
>
> One possibility is to make the cut at the (Monticello) repository level.
> For example, the repository at
>
>    http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888/PublicContribs.html
>
> says explicitly that "Code placed here must be made availalbe under the
> Croquet license, and will be considered for inclusion in the main
> distribution."

The MC repo for base Squeak (http://source.squeakfoundation.org) should
definitely have such a display - and any other repo which hosts snapshots
intended for base Squeak inclusion should (which of course is a good
reason for keeping down the number of repos for that purpose).

Regarding SqueakMap - it needs to be more refined than the board notes
says.  If the registrator picks a non MIT license we could put up a
display explaining that it will invalidate the package for base Squeak
inclusion. Perhaps that was what the board meant.

...and as Daniel says, Mantis needs a Big Fat display since that would
proabably be the place where small, hard-to-track-and-trace-contributions
will be made.

regards, Göran