Squeak on Nintendo DS

Hans N Beck private at hans-n-beck.de
Fri Dec 15 08:56:46 UTC 2006

Hi,

very interesting.

Am 14.12.2006 um 18:41 schrieb Alexandre Jasmin:

> I ported the VM to the DS a few month ago.
>
> I only spent a weekend on it, so it's not working very well but I can
> make it a bit more usuable if you need to use it.

I have only some ideas, not concrete plans.  The far goal would be
games for Nintendo, and I asked me if Squeak could be a "integrator"
or scripting tool, if graphics etc. are provided by plug-in. I have
no experience make a own VM, but it seems not to be a great problem.
Also, I have no experience with the homebrew things, and therefore
before I consider to go on I wanted to know if there is a chance at
all that squeak runs. So I notice that the answer is yes :-)

> You need to use a third party flash card to run anything that's not
> certified by Nintendo and since the DS have only 4MiB of ram on the DS
> don't expect to use your regular image.
>
> I wasn't able to implement the save function because the file system
> driver for my flash card doesn't support writing yet but I guess it's
> doable.

Thank you for your infos

Regards

Hans