DejaVu fonts with Freetype for 3.9

Viktor Svub gilrandir at centrum.cz
Sat Dec 16 22:35:25 UTC 2006

I've somehow managed to get the Sophie Freetype fonts working (with the
unicode DejaVu free fonts available at
http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download ) in a
Squeak 3.9 image /squeak-web-72, on Win32 VM/, but there are still some
caveats.

The FreetypeFont is usable in the whole system, pretty rendered, but it
misses another emhasis' (can't be bold or italic), the line(glyph?)
height is much bigger than appropriate for the size given and it can't
handle national characters (which are present in the original TTF, part
of Latin-2 aka iso-8859-2 codepage).

With the same TTF source file and same font size, a HostFont loads a
proper emhasis for italic and bold and whats most important: handles all
national characters properly (but it's far not as nice and the italic
style is virtually unreadable).

In this stage, i have no repeatable process to make this work, so you
can try to rip the appropriate packages from Sophie and load them
(Multilingual-Display, Sophie-FontManager, Freetype-Base and
Freetype-Fonts at least -> there may be some cross-references and
Undeclared, you can quietly ignore anything Rome-related).

I think a can handle the line heights and emphasis issues in a few
days/weeks, but i would welcome any guidelines, in particular how to
make the complete unicode working.

Viktor