Thue-Morse and performance: Squeak v.s. Strongtalk v.s. VisualWorks

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Dec 17 13:36:58 UTC 2006

Hi Michael,

on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:03:24 +0100, you wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> On 12/17/06, Klaus D. Witzel <klaus.witzel at cobss.com> wrote:
>> But I doubt that there will be
>> remarkable difference, since the methodCache is per receiver class
>
> I don't understand that bit. What do you mean by it? In case of PICs,
> the cache is per send site.

In VW and in Squeak there's no PIC and the corresponding thing which
contributes to performance I called "methodCache" (still in the context of
comparision).

I also believe (without having searched for it) that, when the PIC is
exhausted (or not in use at bytecode time) the comparision
(Squeak/VM/Strongtalk) reflects the "methodCache" thing performance.