Callbacks from C into Squeak

daniel poon mr.d.poon at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 16:56:45 UTC 2006

David T. Lewis <lewis <at> mail.msen.com> writes:
> Bert is referring to an OS process (unix, win32), not a Smalltalk
> process. So the plugin could fork an OS process and communicate with
> it through any of several mechanisms.  But his suggestion of a toolkit
> that does not require callbacks is really the first thing that you
> should consider.

Thanks for your clarification and your code snippets.
I was using the GUI callback as an illustration of a callback, but what I am
really interested in is calling back from foreign mathematical libraries, and
how to do that in Squeak. We have had some success in doing such things in
another Smalltalk dialect, and I want to know if I can port that work on to
Squeak.

Will using separate processes perform well enough? To simulate a few seconds
using a physics simulation, a maths library would have to make about a million
callbacks into Smalltalk. You would want the simulation to take seconds or
minutes rather than hours.

Cheers

Daniel