Squeak and Seaside Stability

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Tue Dec 19 17:33:31 UTC 2006

> OK, playing with handle, and seems they are thread handles.
>
> Squeak.exe in task manager has 14,702 handles, 7 threads.
>
> Yet handle -s shows 15000+ Thread handles
>
> Locally, I can see both the handle count and thread count
> spike when I do a soap call in a loop forking each call,
> which would kind of simulate my live environment, the Seaside
> app doing soap calls on a forked process and polling for the
> result.  Seems somehow I'm leaving thread handles hanging
> around, any idea what might cause this or how I can track it down?
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

OK, I've found the offending line of code.  I'm using

NetNameResolver localHostName

To print the web server name in the html source code for debugging purposes,
and turns out each time it's called, it leaves a handle hanging.

10000 timesRepeat: [NetNameResolver localHostName]

Confirms to me that this is my bug.  So... Anyone know a reliable method of
getting the computers name that doesn't leak like a sieve?

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com