Reasoning behind World>>projects... and world>>Project menu items

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Sun Dec 24 17:55:09 UTC 2006

Brad Fuller a écrit :
> I assume that there is a very good reason why the 'World Menu' and the
> Button-3 world menu (don't know what else to call it) have different
> "Project" submenu items.
>
> The World menu has a selection called "projects..."
>
> The world menu (3rd button) has a cascading submenu called "Project"
>
> Both contain 'project' items (like previous, next project) but I don't
> understand what the logic was by having both of these being similar but
> not quite the same.
>
> The 'World>>projects...' selection brings up another menu that has the
> following items, that are all Squeak Project specific:
>
> ------------------
> save on server
> save to a different server
> save project on local file only
> see if server version is more recent...
> load project from file...
> show project hierarchy
> create new mvc project
> create new morphic project
> go to previous project
> go to next project
> jump to project...
> save for future revert
> revert to saved copy.
> ------------------
>
> The 'world>>Projects' cascades a submenu that has the following items,
> and they are not all Squeak Project specific:
>
> ------------------
> open...
> windows...
> previous project
> jump to project...
> next project
> find any file
> find a project
> new project
> make new drawing
> object catalog
> object from paste buffer
> undo <...>
> view objects hierarchy
> publish project
> ------------------
>

> As I mentioned, I'm sure that this was well thought out, but I don't
> understand the reasoning. Can someone explain it to me?
> For instance, why items such as "object catalog" in the
> 'world>>Projects' menu? And, why doesn't "publish project" show up in
> 'World>>projects...' menu?

I agree, i think some work should be done in order to have more uniform
and well thought menus and sub-menus.

I put a project for a group of students in my departement university in
order to work in this task. It's not really a big and difficult task and
it could help beginners that start to use Squeak.

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##