SUN and VW (was Re: Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, Revisited)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Dec 28 21:47:32 UTC 2006

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> On 28-Dec-06, at 10:51 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> > In another message in this thread you mentioned the story that Java
> > was
> > started only because Sun couldn't get a reasonable license from
> > Parcplace. I have heard this a few times before but don't believe it -
>
> I was there. It seems to be true, at least so far as the
> 'negotiations happened and SUN didn't want to pay that much'. There
> were also talks about using VW as the standard tool-building tool for
> admin type tools.

Interesting - thanks for the information! My observation was based on
the fact that January 1991 was not only when the Self team moved from
Stanford to Sun but also when the first real meeting of the
Stealth/Green/Oak/Java group took place (in Aspen).

Do you remember when these negotiations took place? Perhaps this was for
some other Sun project?

-- Jecel