mac carbon VM goes to unix file names, testers needed

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Mon Feb 6 08:54:17 UTC 2006

Am 03.02.2006 um 23:28 schrieb John M McIntosh:

>  Interested parties should email me and I'll send them a VM

Send one my direction, please.

> Switching to UTF-8 verses mac roman for internal vmpath support
> for all of above (not tested ).

We've been using UTF-8 VM encoding for a while, to be able to access
files with non-ASCII characters in their path. However, I haven't
found a way to permanently switch the image (3.8) to UTF-8 encoding.
It keeps resetting to Latin1 on startup. The only solution for me was
to put this line in my own startup code:

	LanguageEnvironment classPool at: #FileNameConverterClass put:
UTF8TextConverter

Did anybody create a better solution than this horrible hack? I feel
someone else must be using UTF-8, too, now that we support it ...

- Bert -