An interesting presentation and discussion

Josh Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Mon Feb 6 17:38:29 UTC 2006

I didn't think much of the "Reliability" portion of the
presentation.  I experienced my typical distaste for static typing,
overcomplicated syntax, and early binding; this is common when I see
a C++ programmer's wishlist for an ideal language.

GetElement(as:[]string, i:int):string=
     if(n:nat<as.length=i)
		as[n]
     else
		“Index Out of Bounds”

WTF?  This is a helpful type system?  Why just not write a test to
make sure that the value is in bounds, since the type definition
itself is code (with extra new syntax to learn).

Also, what about mobile code?  If I bring a new object (containing
new code) into someone else's virtual world, will it statically
compile it against everyone else's code in the environment?  Even if
it does, how do we know that the semantics match up?  This is a hard
problem, and static typing doesn't magically fix it (he does admit
that Haskell-style type inference doesn't scale to "large hierarchies
of open-world modules").

The "Concurrency" portion of the presentation is more interesting.  I
like how he breaks down the computations done by a game engine by CPU
budget and parallism/synchronization requirements.  I've now heard
about Transactional Memory from a few excellent hackers, and
definitely intend to read up on it.

Two other things that look interesting are Lenient Evaluation and
STRef.  My functional programming skills can use some practice, and I
intend to find some time to learn about these concepts.  However, I
question whether the general population of programmers is ready for
the higher levels of abstraction required to program functionally.
But maybe the massively parallel computers that we'll all have in ~10
years (depending on what you call massively parallel) will force the
issue.

Josh