An interesting presentation and discussion

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Tue Feb 7 08:35:00 UTC 2006

Hi all!

"Nicholas Bennett" <nicholasjbennett at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is it just me or does the "horizontal subclassing" Tim is looking for
> (allowing one to extend an existing framework (like the licensed Unreal
> Engine code) by adding some 'cluster' of members to some high level class
> that is deep in the engine) sound a lot like Traits?
> regards,
> nicholas

I admit thinking in that direction too. But I do wonder if such a level
of extension can be made and still be able to follow new versions of the
base library. It doesn't seem to me that Traits solves that issue - it
only seems to offer a mechanism for more advanced extensions without
touching the source. The coupling would probably be "as bad". At least
that is my guess.

regards, Göran