SqueakSource API?

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 11:24:20 UTC 2006

2006/2/19, Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com>:
> "Philippe Marschall" <philippe.marschall at gmail.com> wrote:
> > An other intersting option this opens is it allows us to run expensive
> > jobs like activity analysis on the second cpu.
> I must admit that I did not understand this. Can you elaborate?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, we had a realtime
statistics graphic for SqS (number of projects, ...). You can see this
in the SqS Paper submitted ESUG. As SqS grew to it's current size,
this caused all kinds of problems one of them was that it is too cpu
intensive. The code is still there, just commented out.
SqS now runs on a dual CPU machine but we can use only one CPU,
because we don't need no stinkin' Java threads. If we can access the
data from outside the image, we could set up a cron job, that starts a
script (or image) that fetches the data, computes the graphic, writes
it to the filesystem and then terminates. We can then serve the
graphic with apache.

Cheers
Philippe