Traits in 6724

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Feb 19 14:30:23 UTC 2006

On 18.02.2006, at 15:56, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Hi Alex, Marcus, Adrian.
>
> In what sense are you waiting, and who are you waiting for? if even
> you won't load the TraitsOmniBrowser package and try it, then it
> will never be ready for prime time. Nathanael recently tried it out
> and reported a bug (actually in Traits), I fixed it.
>
> The decision was made to not include the new traits browsers for
> the OB in the image, and I'm not going to argue one way or another,
> since I don't have a lot of time to support it. But if this means
> nobody will install it and nobody will improve it, then yes, you
> better start duplicating that work and making your own Traits
> development environment.
>
> However, I would still recomm end doing it on OB and not on the old
> browser, now that at least the OB itself is in 3.9a... in fact I
> recommend making the OB the default browser in alpha images,
> otherwise how will it ever get that extra testing?

You are right in priciple... but the idea was to have the system (in
3.9) not depend on a new Browser to be usefull. The only part were I
see a problem with
this is when someone starts changing Behavior: You just don't have
enough information with the old non-Traits browser. I don't want to
make the old
Browser completely a Traits enabled tool, but having just a little
bit more information shown when looking at traits classes would help
a lot, I think.

       Marcus