SqueakSource API?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Feb 19 20:23:26 UTC 2006

Well the OSProcess plugin wouldn't quite work with the carbon vm
because of:

a) x/11 (that was solvable by just commenting out a few things)
b) unix path names. (that was harder).
c) bundle versus unix library.

I'm working on (c) at the moment,  (b) is solved by using a 3.8.10 VM

At this time I need some folks to help in recompiling and testing the
OSProcess plugin to support the mac carbon vm.

I'll note the carbon VM actually runs a number of OS threads at the
moment.

1) For updating the low resolution clock every 1/60 of a second
2) For managing the mouse/keyboard/event input via carbon event manager.
3) The interpreter loop
4) OS thread for input/output  (created by carbon logic)
5) OS thread for sound  (created by carbon logic)
6) Lots of other threads if you use quicktime via FFI.

However since the carbon VM doesn't run headless forking the VM I'll
guess is a problem... Mind starting up multiple headless unix squeak
VM managed by a headful squeak VM
could be doable.

On 19-Feb-06, at 10:15 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 19-Feb-06, at 9:16 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>>> cron job?!? we don't need no stinkin' cron jobs neither ;)
>>
>> Yeah, but we have made a lot of bad experiences with long running
>> delays especially in exactly such cases.
> There have been recent-ish improvements in long delays so if you
> have any way to test for the problem it would be very helpful.  See
> mantis 1840 - http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=1840
>
>> Cron jobs work. And IIRC SqS
>> runs on a Mac VM, so no forking either.
> Really? I'm pretty sure John will say OSX would do forking. Has
> dave lewis done an osprocess plugin for osx yet?
>

> tim
> --
> Oxymorons: Exact estimate

===