Full image for 3.9? (was Re: Celeste status)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 21 08:45:45 UTC 2006

>>  From alpha we will try to do two things:
>>
>> 	- have two full distributions:
>> 			- one for educators (and we will need people to do this one
>> because I'm afraid
>> 			that we will not have the ressources to do it ourselves).
>>
>> 			- one for developers
>> 			this one will contains:
>> 				Smacc
>> 				eCompletion
>> 				shout
>> 				RB (the engine not the ugly UI)
>> 				OB
>> 				Regexp
>> 				(if people have other needs we can have a cool FullDev)
> IMHO having only one full distribution would be less confusing and
> probably also less work. I would use the full image as a demo
> image, so
> it should contain all the cools stuff. The fuller the better. ;-)

No this is marketing. We want to have one developers image and we
will do it.
Now you have a demo image.

I remember a post by a smart seaside guy telling us that when he
arrived to squeak
he was really wondering what a hell is what doing with all these kids
stuff.
and he made me thinking a lot.

>> 	- have a basic one
>> 		the goal here is to be able to have the smallest image in which
>> 		other components can be loaded.
> Now I am confused. I thought this was the Minimal image as
> described in
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3412

I do not know this was for 3.6 (you know more than 3 years ago).

>> But again we are spending our time on that and everybody is welcome
>> to HELP!
> This is a good opportunity for me to thank all of you for your effort
> and dedication! I appreciate it very much!
> I don't want to make any promises but I try my best to make Celeste
> work
> in 3.9 and fix some bugs. I put 2 days into that already, so you see I
> am slow. (I would definitely like it to stay in the full release, of
> course. ;-)

Perfect. Do it write tests, clean and have fun.

> I am amazed how much progress was made while I was away. It is really,
> really great that you finally managed to get Squeak on a Monticello
> managed process!

I could be improved and it will be improved.

> I am sure collaboration will be much easier that way.
> Having said this, I find it very difficult to make a useful
> contribution, if all I have is 30 minutes on an evening. At least
> in my
> experience, I always bump into new problems. And before I have even
> started, time is over. Sigh.

Start small.
Write tests for example. Focus on little tasks. I don't have the luxury
to do squeak full time either, so I squeak because I do not watch TV.

Stef