Environment?

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Feb 21 10:28:13 UTC 2006

On 22.02.2006, at 00:16, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply, Marcus!
>

>>> But Environment? When was it made? What were the original
>>> intentions? Does it work and is it stable and safe to use?
>>>
>> It was a first experiment for namespaces in Squeak a long time
>> ago.  Needs to be cleaned up.
>
> ...how did it get into the "production" image if it was an
> experiment!!?? Shouldn't experiments be done on experimental
> images, and when they are stable, only then add them to the
> "production" image?

This is from the old days, when there was only an experimental image.

But actually I am not that strictly against experimental code... the
only problem the old scheme had was that *nothing* was ever cleaned
up. Demo hack after Demo hack, experiment on top of experiment, until
it collapses.

This is clearly not he right strategy. But now the other extreme:
"only perfect solutions" is not the way to go, either. This way we soon
have the problem that we can't do anything, as nothing is ever really
perfect.

Refactor mercilessly: http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules/
refactor.html

It was no problem to add that code. The problem is that is was not
removed after it became clear that this path would not be followed.

      Marcus