Persisting 'applications'

Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com Bob.Cowdery at CGI-Europe.com
Tue Feb 21 14:02:13 UTC 2006

Chris Muller wrote:
>> Hi Bob, I've stored basic morphs connected with
>> Connectors in a Magma database before and it works
>> fine.

>> Projects seem to work too although I'd be a little
>> more cautious with them.  The problem is not in the
>> serializatino or materialization, its the
>> *initialization* that must occur.

>> Several of the projects in 3.7Full image all work and
>> part of the Magma test cases:

>>   - client2 expunges several projects ("Fun with
>> Music", "Smalltalk introduction", "Fun with Morphic",
>> etc.)
>>   - client1 persists these projects in the database
>>   - I am then able to retrieve and access the projects
>> in client2.

>> Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Chris:
I am completely blown away with the power of Magma. I've used object
databases before but not one as transparent as this. It swallowed my whole
radio and spat it out again intact. Really there was only one line of active
code that saved the PasteUpMorph on which I built the radio. There is only
one tiny thing I can't figure. My connectors come back connected unless I
close the morph. Then the next load from the database they are disconnected.
Still in place but the ends floating. Do you know of any way to close the
morph without this happening? Also if I put in a window it restores without
the window. I think I understand this because the window is not the root
object. If I could get a reference to the window somehow and commit that I'm
sure it would work.

Bob

*** Confidentiality Notice *** Proprietary/Confidential
Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates
may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message
to anyone else.  In such case, you should destroy this
message and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.