Squeak 3.9 Look/feel

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Feb 22 20:50:15 UTC 2006

On 22.02.2006, at 21:22, Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:

> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3056

Thanks!

A lot of the "themes" in the current image are not really needed
anymore, I think...

The basic problem with morphic is that we don't have a theme engine,
that is,
all the look related things are hard-coded.

I wonder if it makes sense / is really possible to patch the current
look at that level to look
like the old Squeak... I tend to just cleaning out the related
Preferences.

Themes without a real theme implementation make no sense.

There was a really cool project by Jim Benson to make Squeak
Themable, see
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2469

Sadly, nothing of that was ever added to the main release. If I
remember, Jim himself
was against adding his code as it was not the best imaginable
implementation, or something
like that.

A more recent effort (Skins) was done by Steve Wessels, see http://
www.squeak.preeminent.org/
Pictures:
http://www.squeak.preeminent.org/images/newskinswindows.jpg
http://www.squeak.preeminent.org/images/newskinswindows2.jpg

And then, there is the Question of why not just move on to Tweak...

      Marcus