Language translator

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Feb 22 22:04:39 UTC 2006

  Jeroen,

> Im still new to squeak.

  Welcome!

> Ive downloaded 3.8 and 9.7100 images and tried to play with the Natural
> LanguageTranslator.
> I cant get it to work because i cant save to a new language ? or im not sure
> how to do / use it... (It gives some error messages too).

  It is somewhat broken in 3.8 when it comes to adding a new language.
A version of Squeak, called "Squeakland", that I and a few other in
the community take care is more oriented toward that area.

> Is there is list of already made translations somewhere? Or some more
> pointers on how to use the Translator?
> It looks impressive, but i need just a bit more info to get it to work (i
> guess).

  Download
http://www.squeakland.org/installers/SqueakPluginImage-dev.zip , fetch
the update from a server by choosing 'update code from server' from
the help submenu of the World menu and save the image.  Then, open the
LanguageEditor from 'open...' menu and press "new" button and type
'nl' (I would guess that is what you want) into the dialog.

  I've mentioning Squeakland couples of times in last few weeks
here...  It is not that it is completely forking from the mainstream:
occasionally things are moved between these semi-forks.  And, right
now, Michael Rueger is looking at making "Squeak 3.8.1" that will
contain these fixes from Squeakland.  The bottom line is, if you are
ok to be on Squeak 3.8, use Squeakland for the time being, and later
merge the resulting translation file and code to the future 3.8.1 or
3.9.

  Hope this helps!

-- Yoshiki