1 day left for Squeak elections!

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Fri Feb 24 11:15:24 UTC 2006

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> Marcus Denker puso en su mail :
>
> > It is of course the decision of the new SqF board what to do with
> > 3.9a, if the
> > board decides that it is complete crap, they should throw it away.
> If 3.9 was the good product what you believe, what its the logic of a
3.8.1
> release ?

This is standard branching behaviour.

Squeak 3.9's an ALPHA product - if it doesn't have weird bugs, we're not
doing enough in the product! It's practically _supposed_ to break and behave
weirdly. Then, once we've messed around with new, cutting edge/bleeding edge
features, and as we iron out the bugs, 3.9 becomes a beta. Finally, it
becomes the new standard version. And we start breaking things all over
again in 3.10-alpha.

3.8.1's a bugfix release, so that people using 3.8 don't have to suffer a
year's wait, working around bugs that made it through 3.8's beta phase,
before they can see bugfixes for 3.8.

frank