experimental mac carbon Squeak 3.8.10beta14.app

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Feb 25 05:36:19 UTC 2006

I've posted a new experimental VM  3.8.10beta14 on http://
www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html

Follow the link to the idisk, I have not posted this on the FTP server.
Please look in the experimental folder.

1) This VM has changes to drag and drop to allow you to drag and drop
images from your browser (aka safari) into Squeak directly.

2) A number of changes to how external plugins are loaded and where
we hunt for routines for FFI.

3) Unix file names, with a revert back to macroman as the VM encoding
vesus Latin1 which causes issues in the VM.

4) Yet more poking at the MacIntel changes, if anyone else has a
MacIntel machine handy please let me know if you would like to be a
test subject.

With this VM you can use Unix style binaries etc, even use Unix VM
plugins.

Most of the code comes from the Unix VM however there are some
important changes and even fixes.

a) I have coded a plist entry SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly that
when set to true makes the lookup logic only consider
      unix libraries or os-x bundles in the ./Plugins folder or the
application Resources folder, or as a foo.framework in the /System/
Library/Frameworks/.
     To turn this feature off and then consider the other 80+ choices
of library locations and library names set
SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly to false.
     Turning the feature on avoids a couple of hundred stat calls at
startup time as the VM hunts for external versions of internal plugins.

Likely developers will need to decide if this flag should be on or
off, and perhaps in retrospect I guess having it on would prevent  FFI
calls to libc, although I've not tested that.

b) Should be able to call libraries like libc, assuming the
SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly is set correctly.

===