Monticello and live systems (was Re: 1 day left...)

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 07:38:09 UTC 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:08 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Well, it's a hard problem. One idea might be to actually record the
> changes and use that in cases where it is relevant (e.g., remove
> vs. classification etc). I'm certain there are issues with that
> approach but it might be worthwhile to think about.

It's a hard problem in general, but dealing properly with class
renames isn't all that hard - we just need to track classes by some
kind of unique ID (which we assign the first time we see them and
maintain from then on) rather than by name.  This would be a very
shallow change to MC, and even making it backwards compatible
shouldn't be *that* hard.

Avi