mac carbon vm goes to v 3.8.10b15 experimental

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Feb 27 04:10:55 UTC 2006

Karsten Wolf has been kind enough to point these VM at his office mac
intel machine. We're still working on getting the graphics to blit
right.

however he can share that he saw

0 tinyBenchmarks
intel		'184,172,661 bytecodes/sec; 6,791,093 sends/sec'

typically on my pb17inch I'd see

pb17 '113,575,865 bytecodes/sec; 5,115,497 sends/sec'

however we need to run a macro benchmark to understand how fast it
really is.

This is with gcc 4.x intel -Os optimization, I'll note -O3 causes the
VM to crash, and no-one has shared their favourite compiler options
with me yet...

If other have access to a mac intel machine and are willing to share
that would be welcome  news.
I'll also note that it is more likely that we can use the unix
version of the OSProcessPlugin now, but need someone to poke at that.

On 26-Feb-06, at 7:50 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2006, at 7:40 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I've posted a new carbon mac vm  v 3.8.10b15
>>
>> http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeak.html
>>
>> Follow the link to the idisk, then to the experimental directory
>> for Squeak 3.8.10beta15.app.zip
>
> I notice there's also an Intel directory in there with what looks
> like some Universal Binaries.  Has anyone run any benchmarks with
> these yet?
>
> Avi

===