SqueakMap2, Kabungu and KomPackageBuilder dependencies management

Samir Saidani saidani at squeakfr.org
Mon Jan 2 18:56:30 UTC 2006

Happy new years all !

I'm digging right now on the way each of these packages, SM2, Kabungu
and KomPackageBuilder tried to manage dependencies. I feel that each
of one introduce some interesting idea, and I'm wondering in which
extent they could work together.

KomPackageBuilder: (see KomPackaging)

- packages to load with an url format, I like the idea but KomPackage
introduced new protocols like sqmap:// and sqpkg:// not necessary to
my sense, something with http:// must be sufficient (and does not
introduce too much Comanche-specific stuff).

- notion of optionalPackages and prerequisite, you tell in your
MyClassInfo which kind of prerequisite must be done, in an array
format : #('PackageRequired'
'http://www.squeaksource.com/PackageRequired-xy.12.mcz')

Kabungu:

- lot of work done to handle dependencies issues, but as far as I
  understand the code, the dependencies are setting up in a
  centralized way. I personally think that it's wrong, each package
  must know what are its own dependencies, this should be not the role
  of a single package.

SqueakMap2:

- not clear for me how it handles dependencies right now, it seems
  that it's not possible yet, but guess that göran is working hard to
  get something on.

Monticello is also managing dependencies, but is not 'url-oriented',
it put every dependencies on the same repositories to handle
dependencies. Since a lot of people are working with Monticello and
squeakmap, maybe the way of managing dependencies should converge in a
way or another. I noticed that PackageInfo seems to be the common
point of all these packages, so I'm wondering if we should agree to
use PackageInfo as the common platform to collaborate around the
dependencies issues ? Or is it not the right place ?

Samir