Network+Files teams merge into I/O team

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 18:31:23 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Waiting for Flow or any other progress :)

Flow is a strong candidate for the network side, indeed. For the files
side, I chatted a bit with Tim and we think that the VW model is worth
copying - it is good, written by a what I heard is a brilliant
Smalltalk developer ;-), and it would increase compatibility with VW.

BTW - for both issues I am very strongly considering a "burn the
diskpacks" approach. Interaction with files and networking is minimal
for the vast majority of code, so porting would be much, much easier
than keeping two API versions in the image. We could carry the old
primitives around for a couple of years and have the old stuff
available on SqueakMap or something for people who insist on backwards
compatibility, but I would need to hear extremely strong arguments for
burdening this project with all sorts of backwards compatibility
requirements...

Regards,

Cees