Network+Files teams merge into I/O team

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Wed Jan 4 19:01:42 UTC 2006

Hi--

	Stéphane writes:

 > Waiting for Flow or any other progress :)

	Cees responds:

 > Flow is a strong candidate for the network side, indeed. For the files
 > side, I chatted a bit with Tim and we think that the VW model is worth
 > copying - it is good, written by a what I heard is a brilliant
 > Smalltalk developer ;-), and it would increase compatibility with VW.

	For what it's worth... Flow derives from a fundamental separation of
stream, name, and resource for all external resources (files, sockets,
serial and parallel ports, MIDI ports, etc.). This is conceptually
compatible with VisualWork's notions of filenames and file "accessors",
and allows for platform-specific support. I find that the details in
VisualWorks become overly complicated, but I think we could be
compatible with it.

-C
(author of Flow, http://netjam.org/flow )

--