MCInstaller on a stripped 3.4 image

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Jan 5 14:47:07 UTC 2006

Jon Hylands wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am building the next version of my autonomous controller, and I'd like to
> use Monticello to move my code between my laptop development image and my
> stripped down major-shrunk embedded headless image.
>
> The runtime image is based on: Squeak 3.4, update #5170
>
> Can I use MCInstaller in my headless image to load code? Or is there some
> better way to do this?

I don't see much value in MCInstaller in this situation, actually. It's
meant to do two things. First, it can bootstrap Monticello into a new
image, since Monticello is self-hosted. Second it makes it feasible to
distribute versioned packages to users, and allows them to easily
contribute back Monticello-versioned changes.

MCInstaller basically just opens up a mcz file (which is really just a
zip file that follows certain conventions) files in the code and stores
the version data in the image.

For your purposes, it would probably be easiest to just fileout the
packages from your dev image and file them into your embedded image.
Monticello doesn't provide package-level fileout functionality, but
PackageInfo does.

Colin