Adding a new imediate type

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 21:08:18 UTC 2006

Andreas Raab writes:
 > Bryce Kampjes wrote:
 > > If you're trying to speed up object creation for a small frequently
 > > used object then writing a custom primitive to quickly create the
 > > object will be much easier. Squeak's general new primitive is very
 > > slow.
 >
 > Do you have any evidence towards that end? It would be simple to add
 > specialized versions of primitiveNew to the mainstream VMs if it makes a
 > real difference.

John McKintosh measured it, I haven't yet profiled the VM
seriously. I've noticed that opening a large Morphic explorer seems to
be spending 50% of it's time creating points, this is my
interpretation of a Squeak profile. I've also read through the Slang
code for new.

It's enough empirical evidence for me to act.

Bryce