About squeak image compatibility (3.6/7/8)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jan 8 21:13:30 UTC 2006

On 8 janv. 06, at 21:50, Samir Saidani wrote:

> stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> writes:
>
>> So what can I do?
>>
>> If you take the latest 3.9 version 6707, and publish the mcz files in
>> the inbox and scripts I will include them
>> after review. You can also send them to me by email.
>
> Stéphane, really this question of reviewing sounds sometimes for me as
> a friction into the energy we are deploying for squeak : why don't we
> start from reponsability instead of mistrust ? I don't say that
> reviewing is bad, feedback are important as an educational process to
> understand what you miss, but Edgar has done some work, why don't let
> him to include himself ?

Because right now I put my name on 3.9 and I want it to work.
I will not say to edgar send me your files and I push them without
daring to look at
what you did.

> Another example is that I proposed to include
> on the squeak core a little enhancement 5 years ago and it was never
> done because X wants to review Y who wants to control Z.

Which one?
5 years ago was another time.

> Giving responsability is a different kind of organization : ok Z,
> let's
> include it, but be really careful, don't hesitate to ask us, and
> nevertheless we have designed things to step back if there is a
> problem. Notice that this is also an educational process, because we
> give the possibility to make errors and to step back.

Sure normally I ask and give feedback.
Now for example, I ask the morphic team to look at the
PluggableListMorph refactoring
and they said that this was slowing down the UI stuff for none
essential functionality
so I did not push the PluggableListMorpRefactoring.

> But in squeak, stepping back seems to be a very difficult task, and I
> think that a lot of problems come from the fact that squeak is not
> "reversible", implying that each step must be carefully done (and so
> leads to endless control and painful reviewing). The question is : Is
> it possible to get a "reversible" squeak in order to put
> responsability in the center of the organization, and not the
> reviewing ?

It should but I do not know it.
I think that having external packages and a build process is the way
to go and
this is what we are trying to put in place.